Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Taking the Right Steps to Fitness

Have you ever wondered how far you really walk in a day? Ten thousand steps is the equivalent of five miles. The recommended daily requirement is to move five miles a day. Most people walk between 2,000 to 4,000 steps a day depending upon your stride. A mile is 2,000 steps.

Martin Memorial Health and Fitness started a walking and tracking program and I decided to join and see how far I walk a day. I strapped on a free pedometer that the health and fitness centers and AARP offer to our members.

So, do I move enough? Am I walking the “daily requirement?” Granted, I am in the fitness industry so I walk a bit more than the average office worker.

Would you believe that I was walking more than 12,000 steps on the first day? My average was 12,000 to 15,000 steps during the week. As I write this it is about 6 p.m. and I have only clocked 2,657. This is addictive. I am motivated even more to increase my steps which in turn increases my interaction with our members. I find reasons to get out from behind the desk.

I chant out my results to our members who echo back their counts. This has become a healthy obsession and competition. I have yet to beat one of our members who clocks in more than 18,000 steps. She wore it dancing. Wearing a pedometer all the time helps motivate people to walk more and increase their daily movement.

The pedometer works by sensing the hip flexion so you can convert swimming or bicycling time into “steps.” Every 15 minutes of continuous exercise counts as 2,000 to 2,100 steps. Try it, you will be amazed.

--Jane Reynolds
Certified personal trainer, health and fitness instructor
Martin Memorial Hospital South Health and Fitness Center

2 comments:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

Jane, Can you recommend one or tell us where to get it locally? Does MM sell them at any location?

Thanks for a great fitness tip,
Denise

Martin Memorial Health Systems said...

Check with the health and fitness center closest to you to see if they still have pedometers (there are some available at the South fitness center on Salerno Road, for instance). You can find contact information at www.mmhs.com, then click on services and location and the link to the fitness centers.

Sporting goods stores should also have pedometers that are pretty inexpensive and can do the trick.

Good luck!