Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Reaching Goals with Fuzzy Math

The holidays are thoroughly over at this point and I did lose the 14 pounds that I planned.

I lost eight actual pounds plus I didn’t gain the seven that experts say most people gain during the holidays, so I figure that’s 15! I actually exceeded my goal by one pound.

Some people might find faults in my math. I choose not to.

I did, however, find faults in my goal. Having a goal to lose weight is not very realistic because it’s too easy to amend during the timeframe allotted. If the plan was one pound per week, then if I didn’t lose one pound this week then I’ll just lose two next week. This type of carrying over effect is too typical.

When I thought about it, losing weight is an outcome or a byproduct of a goal. My goal should have been to eat sensible portions of healthy foods, no second helpings and increase my fitness by running no less than three times per week. The weight will come off whether I plan for it or not.

I took two weeks off from running during the holidays due to uncontrolled circumstances, but I started back up in January. I kept it going with the plan to run in the “Fleet Feet Run for Your Heart 5K” on Feb. 9.

My training went well enough and when the “Susan Komen Race for the Cure 5K” came around on Jan. 19, I went ahead and ran in it – three weeks before I’d planned to run in a race! I have to tell you, it was a great event. The massive amount of the community present for such a great cause was very touching.

Last Saturday was the “Fleet Feet Run for Your Heart.” I ran in it and actually improved my race time from three weeks earlier. It was another great cause and it attracted 270 runners, plus hundreds of others from the community to support the Frances Langford Heart Center.

I know that I’m not setting any records in these races and I’m never going to; but I am doing a small part to support my community while increasing my fitness.

I’m going to try to keep up this whole running thing. It seems to be good for all of us.

--John Romano
Director of Medical Surgical and Neuroscience Services

No comments: