Tuesday, July 1, 2008

CPAP Means No More Night Train

So it took me a while, but I went back to the Martin Memorial Sleep Disorders Center to have the second part of my sleep study conducted. This time was to see if a CPAP machine would help increase my oxygen level and reduce the loud snoring while I slept.

I have to admit that I was afraid to try the mask. I’m not sure if it was me or the mask, but I felt like I looked like something out of a late-night horror movie. I definitely wouldn’t wear it in front of my grandchildren.

Feeling the air pressure through my nose seemed difficult to adjust to at first, but I was surprised at how quickly I was able to fall asleep with the machine running. It was very quiet and compact and easy to maneuver – I did move around until I got comfortable and I didn’t even notice the flexibility of the air hose.

The technician monitored my sleep and breathing, and adjusted the pressure while I slept. I can’t say that I woke up feeling refreshed because the tech woke me up at 5:30 a.m., which is earlier than normal for me.

However, the test results showed that my oxygen level was steady at 95 to 97 percent. When the original study was conducted without the CPAP machine, my oxygen level dropped to 69 percent. It also showed that there were no abnormal respiratory events scored, which was a great improvement from 18 times per hour as indicated in the first study.

And the best news of all, according to my husband, is that there was no significant snoring noted. The freight train may have come to a stop.

The next step is to see my physician and get a prescription for a CPAP machine to use at home. My husband said he doesn’t care what I look like wearing the mask because hopefully without my snoring, he will be able to sleep and won’t see me anyway. We are both looking forward to a better night’s sleep in a week or so. Wish me luck!

--Landy Tiffany
Marketing Coordinator

No comments: