Monday, October 13, 2008

Halloween Brings Scary Treats

Boo! It is that time of year again. I think you know where I am going with this. We are heading into the most frightening holiday of the year. HALLOWEEN!

I am not afraid of those adorable little goblins that will be ringing my doorbell on Oct. 31. I am more frightened about my willpower.

Those cute little “snack-sized” Snickers, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers – and we cannot forget my favorite, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. They are so innocent. How could one serving size (and who can stop at one?) be so frightening? Well, I am here to report the cold hard facts about what you need to do the burn off those innocent mini sized candy treats.

--10 pieces of candy corn is equal to 70 calories. You will need to do 30 push-ups and 3 minutes of mountain climbers.

--One mini Tootsie Roll equals 30 calories. Try 30 squats and 30 ab crunches.

--A 2-ounce candy bar equals 280 calories. Ride a bike at 10 mph for 40 minutes.

Remember to plan ahead and limit yourself to only one candy bar. A 3.14 ounce bag of M&M’s is 440 calories (about 4.5 miles of walking at a moderate pace.) These calories contain 19 grams of fat and 56.5 grams of sugar. If you take in too much sugar, your ability to burn fat shuts down.

When the trick or treaters come knocking on my door this Halloween, I will not be handing out king sized candy bars. I do my best to buy candy at the last minute. I also buy things I do not like. I have never been a big fan of sweet tarts, nerds, or sour patch gummies. My goal is to NOT eat the candy before the trick or treaters arrive at my home.

So before you take a bite of that snickers bar, remember the price of each piece. Is it worth it?

--Jane Reynolds
Health and Fitness Technician, Group Exercise Instructor

No comments: