Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Last Stop for Sleep Apnea Freight Train

For years my husband thought the freight train sound I make when I sleep was just noise – loud noise that kept him awake all night. He never imagined that loud snoring could be an indicator of obstructive sleep apnea. People with sleep apnea literally stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep, often for a minute or longer and as many as hundreds of times during a single night.

Sick and tired of feeling nauseous and exhausted all day, I had a sleep study conducted at the Martin Memorial Sleep Disorders Center and was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Based on the results of the study, my doctor recommended a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine to help me breathe properly during sleep. The machine features a mask that is placed over the nose and pushes air through the airway with enough pressure to prevent apneas from occurring.

Using the machine took a few weeks to get used to, but now it’s part of my nightly routine. I have been using a CPAP for over a month and I can’t believe the results. Not only has it eliminated the snoring completely, I wake up feeling rested without headaches and nausea. I can’t recall the last time I slept through the night before using the CPAP and now my husband and I both get a good night’s sleep. More importantly, I don’t lose valuable oxygen during the night that can lead to serious health issues, such as high blood pressure and other cardiovascular disease or memory problems.

I want to thank the staff at Martin Memorial Sleep Disorders Center for giving my husband and me some much needed peace and quiet!

--Landy Tiffany
Marketing Coordinator

No comments: