Thursday, April 30, 2009

Let’s Go Girls! Group Puts Fun Into Fitness

It’s Monday morning again and I know I can count on my most dedicated group of women to get me going!! That’s right: these ladies motivate me every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning from 8-9 a.m. Exercising for this group is a way of life.

“So what motivates you to get here bright and early most days of the week to exercise,” I asked.

Their answers were as diverse as the women in the class: We feel great when we are finished; it helps me keep my weight off; it gets my day started; it’s my “warm- up” before tennis; it keeps my joints feeling better; it’s part of my life; I always feel more energized. I could go on and on, but these are just some of the reasons why my girls show up faithfully.

I am here to tell you that my girls really do have to “fit” exercise into their schedules. A majority of them are retired and are busier now than they were in their pre-retirement years. They play golf and tennis, provide charity work, sit on planning committees, do Meals on Wheels deliveries and all sorts of other activities. And then there’s Stacy – a full-time student and mother of three little ones. She fits exercise into this busy schedule three to five days per week. She studies while she walks on the treadmill and then joins the class.

My girls come from all walks of life. The common point is that each one considers exercise to part of the day not an “add on.” Exercise routines generally start as work but quickly become part of the day and for many a “fun” part of their lives. I want to be like these girls when I grow up!

--Jane Reynolds
Health and Fitness Technician
Hospital South Health and Fitness

No comments: