Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Even on Vacation, Staying Fit a Priority

Let’s face it, we live in paradise. Why would you want to take a vacation away from paradise?

I just needed to decompress and spend a week at home. Since I spend 40-plus hours a week at Martin Memorial South Health and Fitness and I am fortunate that my job requirement is to stay in shape, I did ponder how to keep up with my fitness regimen without visiting my work environment.

So I took it to the streets! I followed my own advice and started a walking program. (Thanks for all the shout outs on US 1 and Seabranch!)

Walking is great way to maintain the fitness level but does not replace visits to the gym. Boy was I sore after a week of just maintaining. The old muscles had forgotten what it was like to really work. It’s important to take a break from your fitness program but it’s just as important to resume your strength-training workouts at the gym. It goes back to the old expression: “Use it or lose it.”

The desire to maintain a fitness program while on vacation or getting away from a routine is tricky especially when you toss into the mix a lot of baking bread and baking at the beach.
When I returned to the fitness center I was refreshed and ready to get back to the business of helping members reach their fitness goals.

And speaking of goals, the highlight of my spring vacation was watching my daughter, Abby, walk across the stage to receive her college degree from Florida State University. Instead of me walking, I watched with pride as my daughter walked.

--Jane Reynolds
Health and Fitness Technician
Hospital South Health and Fitness

No comments: